The recently published second edition of Earth's Evolving Systems: The History of Planet Earth makes teaching and learning geology easier. It explores the complex processes and interactions that have shaped our planet. Employing a systems perspective, this introductory text covers topics such as the lithosphere, hydrosphere, atmosphere, and biosphere, and discusses how these systems, plate tectonics, and life have interacted with each other and evolved through geologic time. This approach to Earth’s history integrates the study of modern Earth systems with past ones piquing students’ interest in the process. No other text bridges the gap between traditional historical geology and the behavior of Earth systems, and does so with higher quality art and illustrations. Capturing the dynamism of our planet’s fascinating history, Earth’s Evolving Systems: The History of Planet Earth, Second Edition provides the bedrock to understanding this exciting science.
- Introduces the concepts and processes of Earth systems and their basic interactions at an introductory level in the first six chapters
- Visually stunning design with over 300 NEW and REVISED images and illustrations that unlock complex topics and geological processes
- A major theme is the method of multiple working hypotheses and debates, offering a broad perspective to the covered topics.
- The origins of the planet and life and its evolution are presented within the context of the major eras, including Proterozoic, Paleozoic, Mesozoic, Paleogene, and Neogene
- Each chapter begins with a list of Major Concepts and Questions Addressed in This Chapter. The new interior text design uses icons to indicate where each of these Major Concepts are addressed within the chapter to help students study.
- Each chapter ends with basic Review Questions and more challenging Food for Thought questions, which go beyond the basic information of the chapter and stimulate students to think about what they have learned in a broader context. These questions are great for individual or group assignments in or outside of the classroom.
- Each new print copy comes FREE with Navigate 2 Advantage Access that unlocks a comprehensive and interactive eBook with engaging animations, student practice activities and assessments, a full suite of instructor resources, and learning analytics reporting tools.
Visit our site to Learn more about the new Second Edition and to request a review copy for course adoption consideration.