Fluid and Electrolyte Balance: Nursing Considerations, Fifth Edition
Norma M. Metheny, RN, PhD, FAAN, Professor and Dorothy A. Votsmier Endowed Chair, Saint Louis University School of Nursing, St. Louis, Missouri
ISBN-13: 9780763781644 | Paperback | 398 pages | © 2012
This completely revised and updated edition takes a case study and applications approach that is ideal for undergraduate nursing students.
- Provides in-depth discussion of fluid and electrolyte balance and imbalance
- Focuses on understanding pathophysiology
- Gives an overview of the nursing considerations for fluid and electrolyte problems including sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, and acid-base imbalances
- Offers easy-to-understand information on parenteral and enteral nutrition
- Discusses caring for children and the elderly
- Covers how to treat fluid and electrolyte problems involving gastrointestinal issues, congestive heart failure, brain injuries, pregnancy, and oncologic conditions
- Features illustrations and tables supporting each chapter's material
About The Author
Dr. Norma Metheny is a Professor at Saint Louis University where she has taught an elective course on fluid and electrolyte balance to undergraduate and graduate students for 30 years. She is a consultant on this topic and published multiple textbooks in this area. Findings from her research on enteral nutrition are widely used to help formulate practice guidelines in acute and chronic care settings.