National Nutrition Month® is a nutrition education and information campaign sponsored annually by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The campaign is designed to focus attention on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits.
Before you eat, think about what goes on your plate or in your bowl. Foods like vegetables, fruits, whole grains, low-fat dairy products and lean protein foods contain the nutrients you need without too many calories. Over the day, include foods from all the food groups.
Try the following tips to “Get Your Plate in Shape.”
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables
- Make at least half your grains whole
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat milk
- Vary your protein choices
- Cut back on sodium and empty calories from solid fats and added sugars
- Enjoy your food but eat less
- Be physically active your way
Source: Let’s Eat for the Health of It, www.ChooseMyPlate.gov.
©2012 Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.