What is the “big picture” in environmental science? Our authors know and effectively communicate it in Environmental Science: Systems and Solutions, Sixth Edition. Whether you view the subject through a scientific, social, political, or historical lens, you’ll find the concrete foundations here that work for courses in both environmental science and environmental studies.
A systems approach is the connective fabric that makes sense of the wealth of topics and data, which demonstrates how aspects of the natural environment interconnect with each other and with human society. A section on Resource Use and Management introduces the concept of sustainability, and another on Dealing with Environmental Degradation discusses threats to the environment and mitigation strategies. A bonus section available online on Social Solutions to Environmental Concerns, discusses the complex issues impacting the environment and the scientific, technologic, and human behavioral ways to address them. Throughout the text you will find the hard data necessary for a scientific study of the environment and the measured analysis ideal for our time.
Combining evidence-based, contemporary information and data with relevant case studies, practical applications, numerous calculations, and modern references, Environmental Science: Systems and Solutions teaches and engages.
- Thought-provoking case studies of current and relevant issues encourage critical thinking
- Unique What’s The Evidence? feature invites the reader to review arguments and determine their validity
- Updated data and statistics and additional tables provide a fresh and current picture of the subject
- An expanded selection of calculations problems challenges the student and encourages them to apply new practical skills
- Visually stunning design with new and revised figures, photographs, and tables throughout
- Two additional chapters covering Social Solutions to Environmental Concerns are available online offering instructors the flexibility to include these topics in their course
- Instructor Resources include a comprehensive Instructor’s Manual, Lecture Slides in PowerPoint format, a Key Image Review, and Test Bank
- Every new print copy includes access to Navigate 2 online learning materials, including a comprehensive and interactive eBook containing two additional chapters not found in the printed text, links to useful and relevant internet resources, student practice activities and assessments, learning analytics reporting tools, and more.