The Standard in Forensic Science Fundamentals
Criminalistics continues to set the standard for modern forensic methods and investigative techniques in a new, updated fourth edition. Beginning at the crime scene and proceeding to the forensic laboratory, the text walks the reader through the entire forensic investigation. Students learn how to accurately identify, gather, and analyze multiple types of evidence by examining actual crimes that were solved using the techniques presented. The most comprehensive and accessible text of its kind, Criminalistics: Forensic Science, Crime, and Terrorism, Fourth Edition is a practical, student-friendly introduction to this exciting science.
Here are 10 reasons to adopt Criminalistics, Fourth Edition:
- ACCESSIBLE - Makes forensic science techniques and concepts easy-to-understand by discussing only the core science principles behind the forensic method
- APPLIED - Contemporary case studies connect the material to actual crimes that were solved using the techniques presented
- COMPREHENSIVE – All types of evidence are covered, including trace, pattern, chemical, and biological
- ENGAGING - Visually stunning interior design with new photos, figures, and illustrations engage students and unlock complex topics
- CURRENT - Contains updated and expanded discussions throughout, including new information on cell phone breathalyzer technology, familial DNA, and footwear impressions
- RELEVANT – Features an entire section on terrorism, including WMDs, explosives, and cybercrime
- NEW topics and crime lab techniques added to this edition include the use of 3D scanners to document the crime scene, how to visualize and match shoeprints, synthetic opioids, new CODIS DNA typing loci, forensic analysis of cell phones and GPS devices, and more.
- PRACTICAL - The popular You are the Forensic Scientist feature offers students a realistic sense of working in this dynamic field
- SUPPORTIVE - Instructor resources include a complete Test Bank, lecture slides in PowerPoint format, an Answer Key for end-of-chapter questions, and a comprehensive Instructor's Manual
- AUTHORITATIVE - Dr. James Girard is Professor and Chairman of the Chemistry Department at American University. He teaches analytical, environmental and forensic chemistry, as well as chemistry for non-science majors.