Databases Illuminated, Second Edition integrates database theory with a practical approach to database design and implementation. This text is specifically designed for the modern database student, who will be expected to know both theory and applied design and implementation as professionals in the field. This Second Edition has been revised and updated to incorporate information about the new releases of Access 2010, Oracle 11g and Intersystems Cache. It includes material on the most recent topics such as, Web access, JDBC, web programming, XML, data mining, and other emerging database technologies and applications.
New and key features of the updated Second Edition:
- Covers the new features of the current versions of popular database management systems, including Oracle 11, Access 2010, and InterSystems Cache.
- Incorporates the new curriculum recommendations in ACM Computer Science Curriculum 2008 and ACM/AIS IS2010 Curriculum Guidelines for IS2010.2, Data and Information Management, including more attention to security, concurrency, and net-centric computing. The chapter on computer ethics has been updated to take into account new regulations and practices.
- Contains more material on recent and relevant topics, such as Web access, JDBC, web programming, XML, data warehousing, data mining, and other emerging database technologies and applications.
- Includes the extensive object-relational features of the current release of Oracle, with downloadable code for students to implement.
- Object-oriented databases are implemented using InterSystems Cache, with downloadable code included on the website.
- Instructor's manual
- PowerPoint lecture slides
- Solutions to the exercises and projects in the text
FREE companion website featuring:
- Downloadable code
- Additional projects with step-by-step guidance to ensure students fully understand each step before progressing to the next.
- Hands-on lab exercises that allow your students to apply the concepts learned from the text.
- Additional information not found in the text for further study.
The integrated modern approach to databases, combined with strong pedagogical features, accessible writing, and a full package of value-added student and instructor resources, makes this new Second Edition the perfect textbook for courses in this exciting field!