Oncology nurses, this is your month! Join us in celebrating Oncology Nursing Month by recognizing the tireless commitment oncology nurses bring to their patients and their families. This year, Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) has chosen the theme of “Oncology Nurses: Providing Care for Life.” Take some time this month to recognize the dedicated professionals who “help patients and their loved ones by caring, teaching, listening, and simply being present.”
Wondering how to celebrate? Here are some suggestions from ONS:
- Buy flowers or cookies for the oncology nursing staff or colleagues.
- Hold an Oncology Nurse Appreciation Day at your hospital honoring employees of your hospital as well as those from the area. Invite hospital employees and the general public.
- Order Oncology Nursing Month gifts.
- Develop an Oncology Nursing Month display to acknowledge cancer nurses in your workplace.
- Arrange a social gathering with your local ONS chapter and seek donations toward the event from your oncology department and/or hospital administration.
- Plan an educational program in your community such as a free cancer screening.
- Sponsor a child at cancer camp.
- Hold a potluck dinner with your staff.
- Speak to students about a career in oncology nursing.
Thank you, oncology nurses, for the important work that you do! Find out more about Jones & Bartlett Learning oncology nursing resources at www.jblearning.com/nursing/oncology/.